There was not much left of the old royal palace's former glory, when the garrison left Nyborg in 1913. Two centuries as a warehouse and a powder magazine had left their distinct mark on the remaining buildings. But strong local forces made the authorities aware that the castle was of great cultural and historical value, and The National Museum launched a large-scale restoration of the castle. After 10 years of restoration, the castle was opened to the public. The castle houses three full banqueting halls, each of which represents an important epoch in the history of Denmark.