New Knowledge About the Rampart at Nørrevoldgade
22. May 2019 | Nyborg Castle
The medieval rampart surrounding Nyborg is located three metres under the ground in Nørrevoldgade. Traces of shells from snails and clams may provide new knowledge about the time in the Middle Ages when they raised the water level in the moat system.
Nyborg Municipality is currently engaged in major construction work in the car park next to the Technical Administration building in Nørrevoldgade. Østfyns Museer are following the work archaeologically and have gained brand new knowledge about the ancient royal, fortified city.
Huge quantities of clay protected the city
The reason we have to dig down so deeply to reach the medieval layer is that in 1540 King Christian III commissioned a refurbishment and improvement of the fortress surrounding the castle and the city. Over the next nine years, new ramparts, roundels and trenches were constructed around the city. The current excavation shows that an approximately three-metre layer of clay has been preserved, from the huge quantities of clay of which the ramparts were constructed.
Nyborg’s first rampart is situated three metres beneath the ground
At the very bottom is the original terrain of the area. It is still well preserved in the form of a large, thick layer of topsoil on a substratum of blue clay. In the 13th century, when the first moat was made around the city of Nyborg, a rampart encircling the moat was constructed on top of the old growth layer. By digging about 3 metres down beneath the car park on Nørrevoldgade, Claus Frederik Sørensen found this rampart, thereby confirming its precise location. This was something archaeologists had previously assumed, but never proved