The Minister of Cultural Affairs will open Danehof 2016

18. February 2016 | Nyborg Castle

Minister of Cultural Affairs, Bertel Haarder, with take part in the opening of the Danehof in Nyborg in 2016. The occasion: a hundred years ago, the ambition to make Nyborg Castle into a national heritage treasure was launched. In 1916. the castle was listed for historic preservation and conveyed to the National Museum of Denmark from the Ministry of Justice, under whose auspices it had functioned as a prison. The castle was restored and opened to the public as a museum.

In addition to the preservation of Nyborg Castle, the whole area of the fortress around it, including the ramparts, the bastions and the moats, along with a cavalcade of Nyborg’s historic buildings was listed for historic preservation in 1918-23.

Historic preservation map of Nyborg
This framework has, ever since, been decisive in determining the development of the town. It will now, in cooperation between the museum, the municipality, the state and private foundations, be turned into an asset and a meaningful resource for the future development of Nyborg. In 2016, the restoration and expansion of the castle will be set in motion; its goal is to get Nyborg Castle and town included on UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites.

The Minister of Cultural Affairs, Bertel Haarder, will take part in the opening ceremony of the Danehof (Market and Jousting Tournament) on July 2, 2016 at 1 PM.

Calendar

Jakob and Johanne invite you to come inside
During opening hours
Mayor's Yard

Come along with Jakob and Johanne on an exciting tour in the Mayor’s Yard.

News

New Knowledge About the Rampart at Nørrevoldgade
22. May 2019

Nyborg’s first rampart is situated three metres beneath the ground

New season at the The Mayor’s Yard
5. March 2019

The Mayor’s Yard are starting the season on March 1

Your heart has to be in it
5. March 2019
Nyborg Castle

Authenticity rather than the easy solution

New glass in the castle windows
5. March 2019
Nyborg Castle

New green panes of glass in the castle’s 124 windows