From the 1650's until
During the Swedish wars in the 1650's, Nyborg
was under Swedish control. The castle, like the rest of the town
and the whole country, was ravaged by the occupying forces, who
left very little behind when they finally went home. Everything of
value from the castle was sent to Sweden as the spoils of war, and
furnishings were burned as fuel in the fireplaces.
Rumour has it that there was nothing
whatsoever remaining in the castle, which actually could be true,
since no inventory has ever been found that originated from Nyborg
Demolition and re-use
After the war, the king was no longer
interested in staying at the plundered castle. This resulted in the
castle being transferred to the army, which had its base here until
1913, when the garrison left Nyborg.
During the period when the military made use
of Nyborg Castle, they changed many things according to their
needs. By the end of the Middle Ages, the castle had become a
four-sided complex of buildings, built around a central courtyard.
During the military period, the more run-down buildings were torn
down. In the 1670's, the dilapidated tower in the southwest corner
was removed, and in the 1700's, most of the wings in the south,
east and north followed suit. Knud's Tower was lowered to its
present height, a low, empty shell, and the last remaining part of
the north wing was demolished in 1873. Strange's Tower was torn
down in 1789, and in 1868 the outer gallery (walkway for guards) on
the castle itself removed, in order to simplify its roof
The building materials thus gained were
re-used in the fortifications around Nyborg and for the restoration
of Odense Castle. There must also be houses in Nyborg built of
recycled bricks from the castle.
Armoury and grain storage
The castle was now used as an armoury for the
garrison and for storing grain. Some of the partitions were
removed, and in the cellar, large openings were created in both the
outer walls and the partitions to permit wagons and cannons to be
shifted around. Knud's Tower was used as a gunpowder magazine, but
this practice was abandoned after the big fire in Nyborg in 1797.
In the middle of the 1800's, two new buildings were erected on the
castle grounds, which functioned as workshops for the garrison.
These buildings are still standing.