When the garrison left Nyborg in 1913, what
they left behind was an old, dilapidated castle. Fortunately,
people had their eyes opened to its historical and cultural value
in time, and entrusted it to the Danish National Museum. They in
turn hired restoration architect Mogens Clemmensen to restore
Mogens Clemmensen was good at his job, and he
examined the castle thoroughly before he began his restoration
work. He was aware that if he restored the castle to its medieval
stage, other periods would be lost. Therefore he reconstructed
details from many different periods, so that we today can "read"
most of the castle's history.
With old blueprints and drawings to go by,
along with archaeological results and technical studies of the
building, he created the castle we see today. Something indicates
that during the restoration process, he found new traces that he
never described in his report. Today we can interpret his results
by "reading" his restoration. Part of the history of the
restoration was revealed by a study done by two architecture
students and a student of medieval archaeology. They measured and
investigated the castle in 1998-2000.
After Clemmensen's restoration, the castle was
opened to the public.