The town and castle of Nyborg tell a unique story from Denmark's
medieval period. The well-preserved castle, town and surroundings,
seen as a whole, comprise an irreplaceable heritage site that can
be a worthy candidate for the World Heritage List. The project
"Nyborg as a World Heritage Site" has its own logo and the title:
"Nyborg - The Heart of the Kingdom of Denmark". The heart
symbolizes Nyborg's role as capital city, the pulsating centre of
the country where important decisions were made. The royal
residence's town plan is heart-shaped, and hearts decorate the
royal coat of arms. The red and gold of the logo are the Oldenborg
dynasty's colours; Christian III, who used the town of Nyborg as
his royal residence, was a member of the Oldenborg family.
Vision, mission and goal
The title "Nyborg - the Heart of the Kingdom
of Denmark" signals a close cooperation between the Museums of
Eastern Funen, the Municipality of Nyborg and other interested
groups. They wish to develop Nyborg Castle and town into a worthy
candidate for UNESCO's World Heritage List.
The "Nyborg as World Heritage" project has its
own logo and the title "Nyborg - the Heart of the Kingdom of
Denmark". The heart symbolises Nyborg's function as the capital of
the kingdom and the important, pulsating crossroads in the country,
the place where all traffic passed through, where important
decisions were made, where people met and where new impulses caught
on. The royal residence's town plan is heart-shaped. Hearts
decorate the royal coat of arms. The red and gold of the logo are
the Oldenborg dynasty's colours; Christian III, who used the town
of Nyborg as his royal residence and spent a fortune on it, was the
first Danish king in the Oldenborg family.
Our vision is this: that Nyborg will be a worthy candidate to be
included on the World Heritage List. There are no other Danish
medieval towns on the list or on the tentative list. On the other
hand, there are several medieval towns or parts of towns elsewhere
in the world, on one of the lists. Our task will be to map out in
what ways these towns differ from Nyborg, to discover what is
unique about Nyborg in a heritage connection.
There are several things about Nyborg that can
be told about the unique quality of its history, that can qualify
the town as a candidate to the World Heritage List. Here are some
items that strengthen this potential:
- Nyborg as the kingdom's strategic centre.
- Nyborg founded by the royal family and used as a royal
residence for about 400 years.
- Danehof-parliament - the medieval Christiansborg for about 200
- Margarethe Town, the planned residential area near the castle,
which included a regulated landscape and fortified lagoon.
- Christian III's new town with surrounding earthworks; it is the
only remaining fortified town from his time in the country.
- Find the good stories!
- Think as a whole instead of in single parts!
- Collaborate with museums, agencies and other interested
- Make cultural heritage an integrated part of the planning
- Network with investors and with tourism agencies!
The first goal is to get Nyborg placed on the so-called tentative
list, in other words, on the list that the Heritage Agency of
Denmark proposes for inclusion on the World Heritage List. There is
a long and complicated process to get there; many milestones must
be passed along the way. We are working with special focus on five
main goal points:
Research into the castle and the town's
- PhD projects
Project to restore and rebuild the castle:
- Restoration of the existing buildings
- Reconstruction of known parts of Nyborg Castle (demolished in
the recent past) as modern museum buildings
- Staging the remaining (existing) buildings to give a sense of
the castle in its heyday.
- Reenactments of historical events, etc.
- Summer school - The Crusaders' Academy
- School materials
- Digital education forums
Inclusion of local citizens:
- Training as guides
- Volunteer groups like the Costume Guild and the Builders'
- Contests for good ideas
- Development of products
- Heritage Master Plan - a long-term management and development
plan for the town centre of Nyborg
- Town centre renewal
- Municipal plan
Go to the website Nyborg the heart of the Kingdom of